Working on a real car

Everything not diecast related; and yes that includes the kitchen sink!
Zondaracer

Working on a real car

Post by Zondaracer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:11 am

Summer is coming so I am not working on my diecast but on my little sportscar. I hope to get it ready for the first show coming weekend. Because the oil consumption got worse (and smell) I thought it would be a good idea to replace the valve seals. I did not want to remove the head, so did an in situ procedure. I made a lever from a steel bar and hollowed out a sparkplug to pressurize the cylinder. This will keep the valves up, because when you don't the valve will fall into the cylinder when you take the springs off.
So I got everything ready:

But when I pressurized the cylinder I blew the headgasket. The aft headbolts also hold the rocker train, which must be removed. So all coolant ran into the sump. Ofcourse just before I had replenished the oil with some fancy expensive stuff!

I pulled the head and this is what I found:
You can see cylinder 3 and 4 black of burned oil. Question, is it the valve seals or piston rings. I hope the valve seals, because I now replaced them by a better type. If it's the piston rings, I will lock myself up for a bit of proper cursing. Stripping the block would mean getting it out of the car again and diassembling it to almost the last bolt.

Weird thing is that the oil burn doesn't show on the pistons. Weirdly the cleaner burning cylinders no. 1 and 2 have a deposit on the pistons.

Put the engine back together yesterday and intend to test it on the road tomorrow. Fingers crossed no leakage and oil burn anymore. Would be nice for once not to smell like smoked salmon after a drive.
Last edited by Zondaracer on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Working on a real car

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:45 am

Where do you find the time? I'm not mechanically inclined, so working on modern cars for me is watching someone else do it ;)

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:11 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Where do you find the time? I'm not mechanically inclined, so working on modern cars for me is watching someone else do it ;)
It's not a modern car, this is old technology although I want to install an ECU for the ignition. Will be fun doing my own mapping on the laptop. Injection could be a next step although these SU carbs are hard to beat and give a splendid induction roar.

Concerning time I let my wife work while I do the "household". :lol:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:25 am

Luck you. The RS has a slight emission issue, flapper on some part is defective, so special car special part equals $750 parts and labor :wall:

Return to “Off Topic”