The Grand Tour: Season 2!

Everything not diecast related; and yes that includes the kitchen sink!
Atalante

Re: The Grand Tour: Season 2!

Post by Atalante » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:34 pm

SPhilli911 wrote: ... Considering the original Jag and Aston were purpose build race cars of the 50s that’s not surprising!
Exactly and they acknowledged at the end of the episode that the comparison was pointless.
Still enjoyed to see them driving these legendary cars.

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:26 pm

Atalante wrote: Exactly and they acknowledged at the end of the episode that the comparison was pointless.
Still enjoyed to see them driving these legendary cars.
Right, and it was still fun to watch, for sure. Something felt off to me, though, like the Type R was an afterthought and they didn't really know how to use it with the others outside of "Hey, it's new and better." May didn't even really review the car so much.

Removing the Type R entirely (putting it in it's own segment perhaps?) and making a nice throwback film of the Jaguar and Aston on a European road trip would have been just fine. But I'm over analyzing it! :shame:

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:02 am

Latest episode was pretty good. I especially liked the XJ220 vs EB110 part. It's interesting to see how far cars have come and how rough the 80s/90s supercars were. The XJ220, while maybe poorly built, is just so exotic even by today's standards. Sure, the two cars were pretty damn slow around the track, but those cars have got to be a blast to drive.

The amphibious speed record bit was typical fun and the guest bit was actually interesting this time. Not bad, season 2 has not failed yet. :clap:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:50 pm

LOL I fell a sleep watching it! I did enjoy the long winded segment for the XJ220 and EB110. Going to hit the re-wind button shortly :D

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:37 am

Another decent episode, although I don't care about SUVs or trucks all that much, it was still entertaining. What I thought was silly was the Tesla SUV. Such a high price for gimmicks and questionable build quality! But hey at least you can tell your friends you have the latest technology?

I did skip the celebrity bit for once, not sure I can stand listening to Paris Hilton. :shame:
Last edited by SPhilli911 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:17 am

Damn I totally missed the episode. Also had an afternoon off from the GF too :wall:

I will DL this evening, I hear you on the PH piece hahahahahhaha :D

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:13 am

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Damn I totally missed the episode. Also had an afternoon off from the GF too :wall:

I will DL this evening, I hear you on the PH piece hahahahahhaha :D
Just watched. The lawyer bit was priceless. I did not realize how expensive that Tesla is, wow! :doh:

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:04 am

Right! I've always known Teslas were costly but I didn't think it was that bad. I guess you have to pay a lot to be part of the latest fad. It's a neat car but we always hear about the quality issues with them. Maybe they will improve, but at that price, they better improve.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 am

The safety issue alone will keep me out of their brand

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:53 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:The safety issue alone will keep me out of their brand
What safety issue? They are safer than most cars on road.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:59 pm

Atalante wrote:
Lithium-ion batteries reaction to serious car collision/impact.

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:10 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Atalante wrote:
Gas car can burn to the ground or explode in serious crashes conditions. The only difference is that Lithium-ion battery fires are more of a challenge to stop for firefighters. Tesla usually fare very well in crashs test results and I don’t believe they are less safe than your typical gas car.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:21 pm

Atalante wrote:
[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Atalante wrote:
Gas car can burn to the ground or explode in serious crashes conditions. The only difference is that Lithium-ion battery fires are more of a challenge to stop for firefighters. Tesla usually fare very well in crashs test results and I don’t believe they are less safe than your typical gas car.
True. Also the Tesla there are specific cut points to remove power from the batteries - one in the front and second in the rear section. Under serve circumstances I don't want to deal with either :o

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:12 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:
Atalante wrote:
True. Also the Tesla there are specific cut points to remove power from the batteries - one in the front and second in the rear section. Under serve circumstances I don't want to deal with either :o
I fully agree :o

SPhilli911

Post by SPhilli911 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:15 am

The last episode of the season, the Africa special, or whatever you want to call it, was pretty good. Not as epic as their other grand adventures, like Vietnam or Africa from the Top Gear days, but still fun. I can't believe Hammond made it on that bike!

Anyone else think it was weird that in the end they reached the village but didn't deliver any fish at all before just getting on a helicopter and leaving? I was expecting the whole time that they'd get to the village, admit their method was terrible, but the crew would give the people actual good fish still! It felt a little insulting to the people. :shame:

Return to “Off Topic”