1970 Dodge Challenger Tracktool

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
duffy-duck21

1970 Dodge Challenger Tracktool

Post by duffy-duck21 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:58 pm

New year, new project. As you can read in the title, this time it's about rebuilding a Challenger.
Planned is a conversion for the racetrack. Visually, the car will be based on the ACME Challenger Sam Posey, including front spoiler, headlight covers and rear spoiler. From the rear spoiler, however, I take a NASCAR as a template. Furthermore, racing rims with central lock and slick tires are installed (there are often even in 1: 1 conversions).
In terms of color, I have considered a metallic red (possibly Tamiya Mica Red). In addition, the rims in Gunmetal would fit well. I will cover the front spoiler, rear spoiler, headlight covers and parts of the hood with carbon foil.
What do I have in mind for motor technology? There is no forced breathing this time. Of course, the engine is upgraded again to all the rules of the art but the engine remains a naturally aspirated engine. Only a NOS system for long straights I will install. The air intake will take on a cross-ram variant.

Even if some of the modifications seem unrealistic (central lock wheels, carbon hood, etc.), the big ones in 1: 1 are nothing special these days, and often even crazier. When the wallet is full, everything is possible nowadays

As a base I use the `70 Challenger from Greenlight. Yesterday I visited my local modeling shop and was able to compare the challengers from ACME and Greenlight. The ACME would be the optimal basis for a tracktool but on closer inspection I would have had to invest a lot of work here as well. From the body there are minimal differences (or only marginal) between the two manufacturers. The exterminated interior of ACME is partly horribly realized. I'll make it a little more authentic at Greenlight, as well as the trunk with race tank. That's why I opted for the not-so-expensive Greenlight Challenger.

First, as always, the before pictures:

[KRAFTIG]

Re: 1970 Dodge Challenger Tracktool

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:07 pm

It looks good already LOL!

duffy-duck21

Post by duffy-duck21 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:43 pm

The choice of new wheels is now fixed. Due to my specifications (central lock, slicks and best of all in Gunmetal) I chose the wheels of the McLaren GT3 from Minichamps. The rim design also fits very well with the muscle car look. Only at the width I had to remove each front and back about 3mm. Front are now 14mm and 17mm wide at the back. I also lowered the suspension discreetly by 3mm.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:25 pm

Looks like a little too much rubber on the rears, no?

duffy-duck21

Post by duffy-duck21 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:07 pm

You are definetily right. The rear tires has to be cutted by 1mm then they fits perfect.

duffy-duck21

Post by duffy-duck21 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:29 pm

Continue with the trunk. The original has been completely cleared. Then it was primed, painted silver and then the Mica Red was applied by Tamiya. Here you can already see the color, the body is obtained.

I installed a race tank from Tremonia, which I painted in Gunmetal. The brackets were made of polystyrene strips or the small angle are from the race tank set.

The battery comes from the original engine bay and was equipped with a bottom bracket.

There was also room for two fuel pumps. These were made of polystyrene tubes.

The A / N fittings are (as always) made of nuts M1,0 and brass rods.

Assembled, the finished trunk looks like this:

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Very good attention to detail

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:52 pm

Yes, definitely!

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:40 am

Love the trunk detail.

However, if I could make one modest comment. For weight distribution purposes, when we were building our race cars, we put the battery in the right rear, in lieu of the left rear as you have placed it.

spikyone

Post by spikyone » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:22 am

Great work so far. Did I understand right that you scratch built those A/N fittings? I'd never considered that, it must be a lot cheaper than the RB Motion sets!

duffy-duck21

Post by duffy-duck21 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:04 pm

@Oldtimer: its true. Normally the battery sits on the right side to compensate the driver weight. But in my case the right place of the trunk was quite filled. But thanks for your attention.

@spikyone: the RB Motion fittings are way much better than my but I tried to scratch build as much as possible. And I think the result is not bad. And yes: its a lot cheaper :)

duffy-duck21

Post by duffy-duck21 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:06 pm

After the trunk I continue with the interior.
The gears should be switched sequentially. I made the shifter from parts of my leftover box and polystyrene. For the size comparison, I have put a cotton stick next to it:

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:02 pm

That's small LOL :D

FrenchToast

Post by FrenchToast » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:35 am

Great work. I especially like the sequential shifter.

Sehr schoene!

duffy-duck21

Post by duffy-duck21 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:26 pm

There are some news from the interior again.

The first is the fire extinguisher. I made the body out of a 6mm polystyrene rod by cutting one end to the hemisphere. Lever and base plate are made of 0.5 mm polystyrene pieces:

Also finished is the roll cage, which was made of 2.5 mm polystyrene rods and painted after priming with Tamiya TS-100 Gunmetal. To make it look a bit more realistic, screws M0.6 were attached for attachment:

And also the bottom plate has been finished. First of all, everything inside was removed, and then the areas that were redone were covered with 1 mm polystyrene panels. On the plates I glued structures of 0.5 mm polystyrene plates. Then everything was painted matt silver:

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”