Mondo Motors 1/18 Pagani Zonda F coupe improve/modify

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
StratosWRC

Re: Mondo Motors 1/18 Pagani Zonda F coupe improve/modify

Post by StratosWRC » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:10 pm

that's a lot of parts to build

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:13 am

StratosWRC wrote:that's a lot of parts to build
It's similar to what Limited24 does, but in 1/18th scale and still far away from their level. These Taiwanese people also know how to make their own photoetched parts and proper decals (white on clear). I am quite jealous at that. If you visit their website you will be in shock and awe.
This is sort of my bible:
http://limited24.pixnet.net/album/set/17214934

jmnov

Post by jmnov » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:21 am

Incredible job so far! I prefer to buy Frontiart models ^^

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:20 pm

Zondaracer wrote:
StratosWRC wrote:that's a lot of parts to build
It's similar to what Limited24 does, but in 1/18th scale and still far away from their level. These Taiwanese people also know how to make their own photoetched parts and proper decals (white on clear). I am quite jealous at that. If you visit their website you will be in shock and awe.
This is sort of my bible:
http://limited24.pixnet.net/album/set/17214934
yeah that's ridiculously impressive

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:19 pm

Update 12 october 2015
Finally got the engine bay totally empty.
The rear part is fastened to the main body by 1.4mm screws. Almost invisible, I am quite chuffed about this.
I hope to have some time this week to make a good set of hinges and glue them in.

I made the trunks 2mm wider and added a bit of detail like the indent in the back. Not sure I need it but on the real car it is there to clear the frame.
I removed the center strut that holds the engine part and the center screw for the bottom plate. By glueing a small flap on the floor it clicks now in place on the back end. The gearbox will drop over this plate, so it's invisible.
With the engine bay empty you can see how huge it is, almost 40% of the length of the car.

I got the M120 engine from a Maisto Mercedes model. This has the correct size, height is 3.6cm.
When placed it becomes clear it is too high. No surprise since the MM Zonda is much lower than according to scale. I am not certain if I am going to use this engine as a basis for my engine build. But for now it is a good benchmark and starting point.

I cut the intake manifolds from the engine piece and then it even gets worse:
I am going to measure the height of the several components as it is now shown. Then remove it, put the clamshell on, take measurements for the underside and calculate the differences. Then I know how much the engine, airfilter and gearbox must be lowered.

To my surprise I found detailed drawings of the Zonda gearbox on a GT40 forum because the Cima principal was trying to sell them for GT40 projects (Cima built the gearboxes for the Zonda's until the Zonda R).
I found less info of the engine, but plenty of pics to give me an idea how to model it.
I am excited to start modelling the engine and gearbox the coming days, although extra work in my shop may mess my scheme up again.
Last edited by Zondaracer on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Looking good! Where do you access the reference images in the last photo?

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:23 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Looking good! Where do you access the reference images in the last photo?
On gt40s.com forum. When I found the brand gearbox and googled it, I found a huge discussion about gearboxes and discussion with the designer of the Cima gearboxes. Quite interesting if you have the time to read it. There was discussion if the Cima boxes could fit inside the GT40 subframe so he uploaded the design drawings. How nice. Quite rarely you get this sort of info. Usually I have to work from photo's and estimate size.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:09 pm

Very cool. Every little bit helps I'm sure.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:09 pm

Yeah I love those ref images too. Very helpful I'm sure

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:04 am

Update 7 November 2015

I am steadily working on the engine bay and its components. Most work until now is finding proper photo's on the web. When googling for pics of the engine I find thousands of pics of a Zonda engine bay (that does not reveal anything) or the bare engine block on display in the factory lobby (which is stripped down of most of its parts). Luckily at last I found someone who is shoehorning an M120 engine in a Mclaren F1 inspired kitcar and this guy had a few good pics on his blog. Ofcourse I already had built an engine block and it was completely wrong so this is my second engine block.
On the picture the present engine block and the stuff I am using for references. The engine block on the left is from the Maisto Mercedes CLK racer. I had hoped to use it, but except for the camshaft covers it's useless.

Next step are the inlet manifolds. These are a headache, but after a few attempts I have something workable. The main body of the inlet manifold is from the Mondo motors casting. I shortened and closed it, changed the general shape, edges etc. On the bottom I glued the brackets for the coils, it turns out the Zonda F engine has a coil over plug system (on the Zonda R the engine has standard coil packs).

First I had long tubes but these gave trouble with fitting on the engine. I shortened them and glued small blocks that have to imitate the injector bodies. These have enough space on top for fitting the small fuel feed from the central fuel rail and the plug for the injector. Only problem is that at the moment I don't know where the leads from the injectors go. There is a slight possibility all wiring is fed into the inlet manifolds and then via the back to the ECU. This wiring is possibly covered by the black carbon piece with the Mercedes logo. I have to investigate further to be sure.
On the pics visible are the camshaft chain covers rough shape, needs a bit of detailing). These were a bit of a headache because there is an interfence issue with the inlet manifolds.

Assembled it looks like this:

I am using a 2.5mm rod for the fuel rail. Seems the correct size.

I am trying to make the AMG lettering from thin styrene plate because I have no experience with photo etching. Else I just put a AMG decal on as I did with the previous Zonda.

And ofcourse frequently the fit needs to be checked:

Yes it fits! How many times I had a part ready only to find out the clamshell wouldn't fit anymore.
Next bit is some further detailing of the engine block and then start on the gearbox. When I get to the exhaust system I'll detail the sides of the engine further. Of course I still need to keep in mind I want moulds of these parts, for the engine I intend to make a 3 part mould, 1 for the top and 2 for the sides. This means some parts (like the oil fill pipe and cap) need to be separate pieces else the mould won't release. Can't wait to start making castings.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:44 am

Looking good sir. Have you ever tired emailing Pagani directly for some images? Just show them your passion and work, I'm sure they would help, no?

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:56 am

I emailed them once with pics of the finished Roadster but did not get a response. But I can't imagine them being too interested in my work. No doubt they receive many emails daily from enthusiasts. Maybe one day I build a model for Pagani himself and deliver it personally to him.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:12 am

Zondaracer wrote:I emailed them once with pics of the finished Roadster but did not get a response. But I can't imagine them being too interested in my work. No doubt they receive many emails daily from enthusiasts. Maybe one day I build a model for Pagani himself and deliver it personally to him.
KEEP TRYING! :deal:

Zondaracer

Post by Zondaracer » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:24 am

I have to say the Pagani forum is very helpful. I even have been offered a ride in the Zonda AG, only thing is I have to go to Dubai for it.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:51 am

looking great, although I have no idea what most of the parts you're talking about are, cause I'm not too engine savvy haha. You were offered a ride in a Zonda, that's amazing.

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”