DECAL REMOVING - 1/18 Williams FW14B Minichamps

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
sangrefria

DECAL REMOVING - 1/18 Williams FW14B Minichamps

Post by sangrefria » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:22 am

Hello,

I am not sure if someone has posted any similar question, referring to the same model car.

My problem is the difficulty to remove the "camel" decals on the Williams FW14B. It seems that they are tampon prints and I tried to get them off with Nail Polish Remover (acetone free of course. ;) ). I have never had any problems when I applied the same solution on other Minichamps models.

In this case, unfortunately the yellow paint (no decal) under the "Camel" dissolved immediately, leaving an ugly dark blue "hole" on the cockpit side. :shame:

So my question is: Are there any other methods to remove that sort of tampon prints without damaging the paint coat?

Thanks in advance! :)

CountachII

Re: DECAL REMOVING - 1/18 Williams FW14B Minichamps

Post by CountachII » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:02 pm

I had similar issues trying to modify other Minichamps cars of that era. The most successful method I found of repairing things like that is to quite literally re-paint that section of yellow. Consider yourself fortunate that you can get Camel yellow in a Tamiya rattle-can: imagine having to perform a similar repair on a Paul Tracy Player's Champ Car whose blue color must also be carefully mixed to match neighboring surfaces.

sangrefria

Re: DECAL REMOVING - 1/18 Williams FW14B Minichamps

Post by sangrefria » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks for the advice!

I tried it with Tamiya camel yellow, but it happens that Minichamps uses some sort of a brighter yellow rather than the more orange yellow of camel.
Nevertheless, I got another FW14B which will stand like it is. :D

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”