Ottomobile: 1 wheel in the air

Modifiers corner! Post your latest creations, your "how to" tips and tricks. Custom model and parts development too.
benitorian

Ottomobile: 1 wheel in the air

Post by benitorian » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:15 pm

Hello everyone,

Besides the obvious choice of sending the model back, how can I fix this major defect?

So here's the short story:

I very recently bought the Peugeot 205 T16 Groupe B rally car from Ottomobile.
On close inspection I found out that the front right wheel is up in the air, quite badly.

Can this be fixed with a bit of DIY effort?
If so, has any of you attempted to fix such a defect and how?

Your suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,

Here's the link of the model in question: https://otto-models.com/en/ot647/375-pe ... upe-b.html

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Ottomobile: 1 wheel in the air

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm not sure is anuthing can be done. I personally haven't tried. This is common among resin/sealed models.. You can possibly open up the model and review how the wheels are placed with the actual model and see if anything can be modified to help.

benitorian

Post by benitorian » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:19 am

Thanks for your reply

I've gone ahead and sent them an e-mail as I have one more model with the same defect but to a much lesser extend.
I'll see if it's worth it to send these back or just open them up. Thanks again.

Malscar

Post by Malscar » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:28 am

How did you go with this?

These are easy to fix. Two screws underneath and when undone, the chassis comes off. The wheels are usually on a steel rod joining the two wheels and will just come out. Where they go in the chassis you will see two cutouts for the rod to sit in, or slots. Now, looking at which wheel is wrong, since it could be the higher wheel is the actual height you want, you can then work out which side to fix. If the opposite side is the problem i.e. the wheel is sitting too low so the other side is too high, you gently file the slot on the side the wheel is sitting too low. Make the slot a bit deeper until the model sits level. If the wheel which is sitting low is the correct height, then the side the wheel sits in the air needs the slot to be filled in. Small pieces of plastic glued with superglue will work. If you do too much, then getly file if back down til you get the model sitting level.

By the way, photos of the problem would help so we can advise.

I fixed a GT Spirit M3 as it looked like a 4wd car. Filed the slots deeper. Car on the left is original, the right one is fixed.

benitorian

Post by benitorian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:44 am

Hey pardon me for the later reply,

Wish I saw this sooner but I ended up sending two models back, the one mentioned above and the M4 from GT Spirit.
To be fair after sales was very fast on repairing the models. Every once in a while an odd one or two come about.

Thanks for your help, next time I might actually give it a shot on my own.

Return to “Custom Models, Repairs & Parts Development”