Decals Removal

Post some your successes and tips that keep you diecast collection in tip top shape!
lon333

Decals Removal

Post by lon333 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:33 am

HELP! Finding it so hard to remove unwanted decals on some Racing models (particularly the racing numbers). Have tried nail polish remover, acetone and some mild solvent but still the decals were resilient. I'm afraid to use a much stronger solvent such paint thinner hence it might ruin the original paint. Please help. Thanks in advance DS.

B00STED

Re: Decals Removal

Post by B00STED » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:09 am

Tampo or water slide? I have completely removed all printed tampo decals with Colgate Optic White toothpaste and some rubbing. Tedious process but works like a charm. Worked on both AutoArt and Spark. As for the water slide decals on the windows I have found it easy to apply a strip of tape which will usually lift the decal. Worked very well on delicate resin model windows where you can't really apply any pressure.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:58 am

what models? Fairly sure some racing models have the decals/tampos under the clear coat.

B00STED

Post by B00STED » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:32 pm

Gavin wrote:what models? Fairly sure some racing models have the decals/tampos under the clear coat.
I've stripped an AutoArt 997 GT3 RSR and a Spark 930 RSR IROC Dunohue car both of which were printed tampo. Very few models are clear coated over the decals.

lon333

Post by lon333 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:01 am

Hi sorry for the late reply, quite so busy but thanks for the infos. My problem with the decals were on my Porsche racing UT models. It seems parts can be removed by rubbing your thumbnail with them but quite hard on curves and edges. I will try your suggestions. Thanks again guys.

Return to “Model Care & Replacement Parts”