Model storage

Post some your successes and tips that keep you diecast collection in tip top shape!
mcaf123

Model storage

Post by mcaf123 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:41 pm

I've got all my models in their boxes in the AutoArt shipping boxes than hold 6 models per box. They're all stored in my loft/attic and I'm worried that they may get damp over time and degrade/get soft. I was thinking of putting them all large plastic boxes with lockable lids with some silica inside to combat this, but boxes that will fit 4 models in are about £15 each based on a bit of research.
Does anyone have a better solution/idea?

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Model storage

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Unless you attic area is well isolated based on the change of season I would not recommend you keep them there. Based on my climate here in Canada I can move from extreme hot and humid weather to sub-zero temperatures.

mcaf123

Post by mcaf123 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:08 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:Unless you attic area is well isolated based on the change of season I would not recommend you keep them there. Based on my climate here in Canada I can move from extreme hot and humid weather to sub-zero temperatures.
I know. My loft is quite cold at the moment, but not damp thankfully. Just looking for the best solution cost- and practicality-wise

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:41 pm

mcaf123 wrote:
[KRAFTIG] wrote:Unless you attic area is well isolated based on the change of season I would not recommend you keep them there. Based on my climate here in Canada I can move from extreme hot and humid weather to sub-zero temperatures.
I know. My loft is quite cold at the moment, but not damp thankfully. Just looking for the best solution cost- and practicality-wise
I can't comment on storage. All I store are empty boxes :)

mcaf123

Post by mcaf123 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:21 pm

[KRAFTIG] wrote:I can't comment on storage. All I store are empty boxes :)
My concerns are also relevant to empty boxes because they're cardboard and will be affected by damp air

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:33 pm

mcaf123 wrote:
[KRAFTIG] wrote:I can't comment on storage. All I store are empty boxes :)
My concerns are also relevant to empty boxes because they're cardboard and will be affected by damp air
Agreed. I have my boxes stored in a basement. They are not touching basement floor, all elevated, also I adjust humidity based on seasonal change.

ModelCarsCanada

Post by ModelCarsCanada » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:23 am

I know this is an old post but if anyone is storing boxes they can also go for the cheaper option of using vaccuum seal bags that can be found at most department stores. a pack of 3 or 4 usually goes for $20-$25 and the XXL cube bags can hold about 4 or 6 boxes. Just be sure to seal them properly and not vaccuum too much air out or else the boxes may collapse!

Return to “Model Care & Replacement Parts”