Hello from Ukraine!

Say hello! Tell us about you and your collection.
Vitaliy D

Hello from Ukraine!

Post by Vitaliy D » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:37 pm

Hello fellow collectors!

My name is Vitaliy, I'm from Kyiv, Ukraine.
I've been collecting scale models for more than 15 years.
Previously, in my childhood, I had had a few 1:43 models made in USSR, but those did not survive because I was a child and eventually broke them :) Since then, I wanted something more detailed. So I started to search for what is available on the market.
When I first saw photos of Kyosho 1:43 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera, I fell in love. But I could not find it in Ukraine and, instead, I've found the same model by AutoArt 1:43. It appeared to be even better than the one by Kyosho! It was the beginning of my collection.

So, I started from 1:43. My collection had been including AutoArt, Kyosho (oh, 1:43 Ferraries with openings by Kyosho!) and Minichamps diecast models. I was hesitating about resin models for a long time, but eventually my 1:43 collection has been including plenty of 1:43 Spark and several 1:43 LookSmart models.
From the very beginning of my collection, I had decided that I would not include anything not as good as AutoArt / Minichamps / Kyosho. That's why my collection has not been being very large and, at the same time, every model is very good. Surely, sometimes I could not resist and did buy something below my standards, but eventually I've sold all of such models.

My first 1:18 scale model was Audi R8 (first generation) by Kyosho. I still have it. Its lights (optics) and its seats are still one of the best I've seen in 1:18 scale!
Because 1:18 scale models occupy much more space than 1:43 ones, I've been trying to limit the amount of my 1:18 collection. At some point there were 10 models, then there were 20... and today it's 30 of them. Almost half of them are AutoArt; there are also CMC, die-cast BBR, Almost Real, LCD Models.

At the time when my 1:18 collection was yet small, I saw a couple of 1:24 models made by Crown Premiums (at least, that's what was written at the bottom). I was really impressed by the details of these models and realized that the entire 1:24 scale is not represented by only Bburago and Maisto. So I started to search for another gems in 1:24 scale. It has ended up with a small collection of 1:24 Danbury Mint models. Sadly, most of the time these 1:24 models sit in their boxes because I simply have no place to display them. Maybe I'll sell some of them, I'm not sure.

During the last years, especially with the appearance of new brands such as Almost Real, LCD Models, Motorhelix and others who produce outstanding die-cast models in 1:18, plus also the nostalgia for old die-cast AutoArt, my main focus has been being switched from 1:43 to 1:18. Hence the increase in the 1:18 collection. However, 30 models in 1:18 seem too many to me, so I'm considering to sell some of them... to free some room for the future acquisitions :)

[KRAFTIG]

Re: Hello from Ukraine!

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:52 pm

Hi, welcome to the DS! Post some pics if you can.

I'd be remiss if I didn't ask, how are things outside the collecting... My perspective is fuelled by the CND and US news feeds.

Vitaliy D

Post by Vitaliy D » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:20 pm

I've been staying in Kyiv that fortunately seems to be a well defended city. It was really scary here back in the spring of 2022 when the city might have been divided into two parts (split by the Dnipro river). Luckily, that did not happen.
Probably you saw photos and videos of Kyiv in spring-summer 2022, when there were no cars and vehicles on the streets, very few people, and most of the shops (actually, all small shops) were closed.
Since then, the city returned back to life. There are still air alarms, sometimes rockets damage buildings and kill people. Now I'm writing this as if it is something ordinary... Well, people get used to everything.
I communicate and support our volunteers, and they share the information from the first hand. It's extremely hard on the front, it's very hard in such cities as Kharkov and Kherson, it's hard in such cities as Mykolayiv and Zaporizhzhya...
Every place the ruZZians touch is turned into ruins. They bring destruction, grief and death.
It was cynically said we deserved it. And I can cynically say that in some sense it is true because it happened only because Ukraine and Ukrainians seemed weak - and this, only this, was the actual reason of why the ruZZians started all of this. When they felt almost unpunished for annexation of Crimea, almost unpunished for provoking the war at the East of Ukraine, and observed no reaction to their "military training exercises" near the borders of Ukraine, they just were expecting to meet no resistance during the full-scale attack. They were expecting a quick victory.
But the reality is full of surprises.
Last edited by Vitaliy D on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vitaliy D

Post by Vitaliy D » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:57 pm

Here are a few photos of well-displayed models.
There rest are in different places that are not so easy to capture :)

1:43

1:18

yellowcamaro

Post by yellowcamaro » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:45 pm

Hey welcome to the community!
It's a broken world we live in - and it amazes me to see strong folks like you who could still pull through daily life despite what's going on... may you stay safe and can only hope & pray that things would calm down.

Now back to the diecasts - nice variety there. The 1:18 and 1:43 scales cover almost anything you could possibly want, with 1:64s also joining in the party lately. But I've always wondered why 1:24 never caught on - because I think if done nicely, that's a good compromise between size, price and details. But perhaps the profit margins aren't as great as the other scales, I'm guessing. Like you, I too only reserve 1:18s for those that justify the size..

Alright I'm done with the ramblings. Take care!

Vitaliy D

Post by Vitaliy D » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 am

A few words about 1:24 Danbury Mint. Simply marvelous!
The Mustang Boss 351 is probably one of the most detailed models that were ever mass-produced in 1:24 scale.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:57 am

Thanks for the perspective. I wish you and your country the best of luck!

A comment on FM, these guys are the cats' meow... I only experienced them once in 30 years first hand, I purchased their 1:24 Ford Bigfoot #14 Monster Truck

Vitaliy D

Post by Vitaliy D » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:18 am

Here are more of 1:43 models. This photo illustrates what I meant by "not so easy to capture" :)

In the bottom-left, by the way, you can see an exact copy of my very first 1:43 Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera by AutoArt. It is not the original model because the original one eventually had had its side mirrors broken, so I've replaced it with a new one in this exact color (for some reason I like this color for Gallardo the most).

More 1:43 models are also in front of books, but within old wall bookshelves that do not allow to make a photo of many scale models at once.

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:30 am

Nice collection!

As an aside, I’d like to apologize to you for the disfunction of my government.

Best of luck and God Bless you and your country!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:35 am

Love the display!

Return to “New Member Introductions”