REVIEW: Minichamps Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupe Black Series

Review or compare your diecast models here. Manufacture versus manufacture or brand versus brand.
Forum rules
Welcome to the the DS "Model Reviews" forum. The rules here are quite simple. Please build your review thread with detailed information and photos as you would any other post, but please adhere to the few simple rules below. Any questions please direct to Administrators or Moderators. Thank you the DS staff.

1) ADD "REVIEW:" to the beginning of your description field
2) Separate EACH photo with 1 line spacing
[KRAFTIG]

REVIEW: Minichamps Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupe Black Series

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:14 pm

I’m a sucker for AMG cars. They inject something intangibly exciting into the clinical, sterile, business-like German demeanor that permeates Mercedes cars. Having deliberated quite literally for hours about the colour to go with on this car – it comes in black as well, in case you’re wondering – I eventually chose this, the Solar Beam Metallic. I feel like it suits the car’s personality a lot more, and gives it something to shout about. If you’re buying this car, then the chances are it is an irrational purchase, so it should come in an irrational colour as well.

Having said that, predictably the first thing you notice as soon as you pull the car out of the box is the colour. Minichamps did a great job here. The paint is smooth, shiny, and metallic, and lives up to its “Solar Beam” moniker. The metallic flakes certainly add a lustrous finish to the paint. It just looks great in the light. Moving on to the various aerodynamic addenda that this car has plenty of, and we find printed carbon fiber graphics, which look well done. Carbon fiber is everywhere on this car – splitter, wing, various smaller winglets and gurneys, door sills, engine bay, side vents. Exterior wise the worse bit is definitely the shutlines on the doors, very poor, and the Solar Beam Metallic exterior paint doesn’t help minimize the issue.

Speaking of vents, you’ll find none on this car, as Minichamps’ models do not come with perforated items. All solid black grilles here. We weren’t expecting them to adorn this car with perforated grills anyway, so I’ll give them a pass.

The car sits well on its wheels, though the ride height looks to be a touch high at the front. It could be induced by the full functioning suspension front and rear. I suspect once the car sits for a bit the suspension will even out. I should also mention that the inside of the rear left wheel appears to be hanging in the air on my model. The tires do not sport any manufacturer prints or stamps, while the brake calipers come with an “AMG” stamp. The rims and brake rotors look on the cheap side, but on the whole, if this car is examined as anything more than the sum of its parts, it’ll disappoint, so we won’t go too far beneath its skin in search of beauty, because there is none to be had.

Underneath the hood the dog leg hinges prevail, while the engine, like on so many modern cars, doesn’t offer much eye candy either. Minichamps did try to mimic the carbon fiber look here, though not the best reproduction it does look clean and all elements seem to be in place.

The underbody offers a nice view of the rather pretty exhaust system that ends at the rear of the car in tacky chrome quad tips. The suspension detail is surprisingly good here, with all the geometry faithfully reproduced.

Inside the interior is full of basic, black plastic details, though the fit and finish is better than I expected out of the box. Full carpeting is found here too, something lacking of late from many of their releases. The carpeting also extends to the rear storage, the icing here is the under belly of the hatch is finished too. Very nice!

In conclusion, what we have here is a runway model. She’s easy on the eye, but as soon as she starts talking, you’ll be waving at the server and asking for the cheque. Beauty is very much skin deep here, as is the trend with Minichamps models of late. The carbon print is great, and even the side view mirrors are covered with the stuff, although it’s the paint that steals the show. It’s a good looking model, and it’ll make a great show piece and a special addition to any supercar collection, so get yours before they’re all snapped up, but be sure to keep your expectations low!

mcaf123

Re: REVIEW: Minichamps Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupe Black Ser

Post by mcaf123 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:30 am

A nice honest review here!
I'm very tempted to get this particular model, because this colour comes in the dealer packaging and I already have both the standard coupe and convertible dealer versions as well as a GT3 version, so this would certainly complete the set. The shut lines look terrible and the suspension too high - looking at pics of the black version, it's harder to spot these flaws, but you lose the dealer packaging and that great paint colour! Dilemmas, dilemmas......

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:06 am

it's harder to spot these flaws, but you lose the dealer packaging and that great paint colour! Dilemmas, dilemmas......
Those were my issues to, but I'm happy I went with the yellow :)

diecast

Post by diecast » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:55 am

Great review as always .. Yellow looks much better than black . Great choice .

David

Post by David » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:23 pm

NEED.
Thanks for the review, Dave!

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:35 pm

David wrote:NEED.
Thanks for the review, Dave!
No problem. Thank Wes too :)

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:36 pm

diecast wrote:Great review as always .. Yellow looks much better than black . Great choice .
Thanks.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:42 am

Such an unusual shade for a MB...I like it!

Black looks sinister, but this color really suits the car well.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Gavin wrote:Such an unusual shade for a MB...I like it!

Black looks sinister, but this color really suits the car well.
It took me forever to decide on which colour to go with, I'm happy with my decision in the end.

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:39 am

Yeah we were both gonna go with the black, remember? Then after looking at pics for a while, I was like naaaaah yellow haha

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:07 am

Actually apart from this car and that awful first-generation SLK, were there any other Mercs in yellow?

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:23 am

I always liked this one... :drool:

otherwise, I remember a few late '70's-early '80's cars...

and don't forget these: :lol:

StratosWRC

Post by StratosWRC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:16 pm

I had the SEL AMG. It was an awesome model, until the decals disintegrated and I sold it. It was also very fragile.

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 ‘Street’ ;)

nigelchaytor123

Post by nigelchaytor123 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:41 am

Great review. If you're looking to sell the model, let me know! (located in Newfoundland)

Return to “Model Reviews”