Paint rash on older diecast models

Post some your successes and tips that keep you diecast collection in tip top shape!
karlis

Re: Paint rash on older diecast models

Post by karlis » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:14 pm

Atalante wrote:Thanks for all this info. I may get one but I don’t like the fact the polishing generates dust and you need to wrap the models. Is the dust that bad even in slow speed?
The dust comes from buffing bits. I believe the wool or cotton or whatever fluffy material is used produces it. Also micro droplets of polishing compound fly all around, so the mess is a problem indeed.

When doing things by hand, however, it takes much more time to get the perfect finishing shine. For now I will be using the machine on cheaper models just to test it out better.

Atalante

Post by Atalante » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:12 pm

I see. Thanks!

karlis

Post by karlis » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:59 pm

So yesterday I spent 4 hours polishing 2 models. The machine itself works well and I like how it stops if you accidentally push too hard on paint, very safe and smooth. And it polishes well when the buffing bit is a bit moist and with plenty of Tamiya compound applied, however there is both dust from buffing bit cloth and also droplets of compound thrown all over the place.

This makes it absolutely necessary to wrap the rest of the model in cloth or paper during operation, also grills and vents should be taped off. So the final verdict:

Pros:
With machine you can get superb final gloss a bit faster, one that is not easily achieved by hand

Cons:
There is a lot of mess
It takes more compound than when doing with hand
The time spent wrapping the model may offset the savings when doing the same with hand

Did not try any other compounds yet, but I would not say that machine makes getting rid of paint rash much easier or much faster. Or maybe I am not pushing it hard enough...

[KRAFTIG]

Post by [KRAFTIG] » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback

Return to “Model Care & Replacement Parts”