Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Alberto Gaspardone from Turin, Italy.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
Cars and motorsports are my passion since I was a child. I seriously started collecting scale cars 27 years ago. Inventory is not updated but is around 400 models, 1:43 mainly.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
It is not easy to remember. I still preserve a few models from my childhood like Mebetoys, Polystil, Mercury. Models not detailed as the today ones but full of memories.
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
I would say 1:43 as it is the best compromise between dimension and detail although 1:18 allows the best appreciation.
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
I do love the Lancia Fulvia, Rally Monte Carlo 1972 by Autoart. Unfortunately, I don’t have it.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
Not one only but a group of cars related to main rallies run in ’50 and ’60.
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
Keeping in mind my finances, I would say Spark, True Scale, Minichamps.
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
You may have understood that the theme is about rally and road races. No specific goal but trying to get more and more Montecarlo rally cars.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
That’s a real problem to me. No space enough in my flat then I have to store a lot of models in my parent’s home. Some items are in 2 showcases only and sometimes I change the models displayed.
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
Collecting model cars is enough…
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
The quality level is improving, prices as well except for some brands. We have to pay more attention when we want to buy a model.
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
Reduce taxes when buying outside Europe.
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
No, I do not. I realized that my skills are not as I wish. Just some repairs if needed.
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
My wife and son think I am still playing as a child… until they see the price of a model.
14) What is your daily driver?
I have an Abarth Punto Evo.