Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Bill Chow from Los Angeles, California.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
When I was young my dad would buy me model cars like Mercedes and BMW when he goes to Germany! I got into collecting I say back in 1996 and my 1st model car was Mercedes w210 E Class bought from Mercedes dealer After 23 years I have lots of cars mainly in 1:43 and 1:18 mainly Mercedes and Porsche I think well over 800.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
My 1st model car was Mercedes w210 E Class bought from Mercedes dealer.
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
I like 1:18 for the bigger size and 1:43 for a more collector aspect.
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
Mercedes racing cars and road cars and Porsche racing cars and road cars.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
It was 1:8 scale McLaren MP4/22 Lewis Hamilton signed by Lewis. Recently added to my collection.
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
Anything Mercedes Benz for heritage and engineering excellence.
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
My current theme is just staying focus with Mercedes and Porsche, which is a bit handful to keep up already!! it is hard to resist a model we appreciate so we need to be selective.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
I display only some of my collection not all, not enough space.
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
I like model planes as well like 747 jetliners, f-14 jet fighter!! NFL football, F1 and DTM.
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
For the most part, selection and quality are amazing… Prices are high unlike back in the day of classic Bburago 1:18 scale!
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
No re-releases and multiple manufactures making the same model car! Keep prices as low as possible. I guess it’s hard because the quality in some cases is better than in the past.
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
She thinks I am wasting $$$ but understand everyone needs a passion!
14) What is your daily driver?
A 1995 Mercedes E320!! Also, 1994 Mercedes E500, 1999 Mercedes SL500, and 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo.