Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Carlos Maldonado from Quito, Ecuador.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
Back in 1983, my mother gave me three Bburago models as a gift when I was ten years old. I liked them so much that since then, not only have I kept these three original models, but also have continued to collect them. Since I cannot have real cars, I collect diecast models. I currently own 40 models.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
There are three actually, they are a red 1:18 Bburago 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO diecast, a white 1:18 Bburago 1955 Lancia Aurelia and a white 1:18 Bburago 1928 Mercedes Benz SSKL.
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
1:18 scale without a doubt. I think it is the perfect balance between detail and size.
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
I have a handful and have included photos of each, they include the 1:18 CMC 1960 Ferrari 250 California Spyder, 1:18 Greenlight 1970 Dodge Challenger and 1:18 Lane Collectibles 1968 Camaro SS.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
Yes, there is one, I being after the A 1/18 Auto Art Orange Lamborghini Miura.
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
That is easy, for me it has to be CMC. The level of detail and quality seal the deal!
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
I just collect the models I like from different countries. My overall goal is to have as many models as my age at any given time.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
Yes, I do. The entire collection is on display within my home office.
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
Haha, one, classic rock music!
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
I don’t like the tendency towards resin and models that do not have opening parts.
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
It does not matter how much money your collection is worth. I would like all collectors to stop worrying about how much money a given model costs, and just enjoy their passion regardless of the price tag/manufacturer of any given model.
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
No sir, I keep them original.
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
She likes them and supports my hobby. That’s a good thing!
14) What is your daily driver?
2013 Toyota Fortuner 4 litre V6.