Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Channbasanna Shivamurthy from India.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
I started collecting diecast cars since 2006 when I started earning. It has been good 13+ years, however, the passion for automobiles was always there from Childhood. I have roughly 60+ 1:18 model cars (including a Schuco Porsche Retransporter and NZG Actros), around 10+ 1:18 motorbikes/scooters and around 10+ 1:12 motorbikes. And have a few 1:24 cars (not into 1:24 now).
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
My first diecast was actually a Kinsmart 1:32 Porsche Carrera GT and 1:18 Welly Yamaha R1. The first 1:18 car was Maisto’s Mercedes Benz Mclaren SLR.
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
My favourite scale for cars is 1:18 for the details and for motorbikes, it is 1:12.
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
My main theme of the collection is Porsche, however, I collect prancing horses, Nissan Skylines. My favourite of them is (I love all of them but these are much closer to me). They include Porsche 356, Nissan Skyline GT R34, Nissan GTR, Rolls Royce Ghost, Mclaren F1, Ferrari F40, and 250 GTO.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
Yes, there are quite a few which I have missed adding, one such is Ferrari 288 GTO.
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
My favourite brand is AUTOart (when they were manufacturing diecast models, the details they included is next to nothing for me. Example: the engine bay of Mclaren F1, R34), along with that Welly (budget but brilliant models).
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
My current theme is Porsche (the love for Porsches was due to Need for Speed 5 PC Game which was mainly for Porsche). The overall goal is to build a very good display and put in all my models there.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
Yes, though not all my models are displayed due to limited space (one of the pictures shows my current display).
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
Yes, I do have passion for drawing and painting (as a kid used to do a lot), building model kits (I have built a 1:32 bus, couple of 1:24 Italeri kit trucks), video games, sports (cricket which I did play and also follow Formula One).
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
Currently, the hobby is rather more expensive, I like to purchase my models at a good deal. Spending on the hobby has become a nightmare though.
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
Bring back the good old diecast detailed AUTOart’s and Ferrari license back to Hotwheels.
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
No, maybe I would attempt to paint a few Maisto model interiors to bring out the model details.
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
My wife has been positive supporting my hobby and she likes the model cars too.
14) What is your daily driver?
My daily driver is Maruti Suzuki Swift (I have a 1:43 miniature of the same but in a different colour).