Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Cristian Dehelean from Nurnberg, Germany.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
Model car collecting started with the love of cars, and especially the passion for the Japanese automotive industry. I started collecting model cars in 2006, during my university years. Since then in the last 2-3 years my collection grew to a total of 208 (1:18 / 1:24 / 1:64) model cars, 99% being all Japanese model cars.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
My first car from the collection was a second-hand Honda S2000 from AUTOart, which I still own today.
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
I prefer to collect 1:18 scale because they have more details.
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
I would say that my favourite models are the ones from AUTOart, mostly all the Honda brand cars (NSX, Civic, Integra, etc), because I am a huge Honda FAN.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
There are a lot of model cars that I would like to own. One model especially that I am still searching for is the Honda NSX Type R . I can’t find de one at a decent price.
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
Simple – AUTOart because of the price /quality equivalent. I also collected a lot of JadaToys and Ottomobile, but when it comes to quality I think that AUTOart is one of the best.
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
I would like to keep my Japanese theme collection and collect more rare Japanese gems. Maybe try to modify more cars and create more dioramas.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
At the moment I have 3 display cases and built-in furniture with a display case.
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
Yes, I have other hobbies, some of them are: photography, car detailing, car design and travelling.
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
I guess that this hobby is not for all people. You have to have e fine taste for design, car passion and enthusiasm for racing.
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
I would try to expand this community as much as I can. That is why I created an Instagram Account: @diecast.tlc. With this account, I can share my passion for this hobby.
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
Yes, I also modify cars. Like full repaint or just a wheels change, it can change the whole look of the car. Some recent cars that I modified are Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 from Solido or a Honda S2000 Autoart. Sometimes I also modify 1:24 and 1:64 scales.
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
My wife supports me in every step of the collection process. She understood a long time ago that cleaning, maintaining and repairing diecast cars is one of the ways that I relax.
14) What is your daily driver?
My daily driver is a Honda Civic FK Hatch from 2013.