Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Didier Thary from Besançon, France.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
The desire to own the scale model of my vehicle. I have been collecting since 1990. About 1600 VW miniatures and toys.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
Without a doubt, the first memory was of the Sky blue Volkswagen Beetle Dinky Toys.
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
I’m both a fan of 1:18 and 1:43 models. I’m satisfied that both provide the level of detailing I love, especially in 1:18!
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
Volkswagen Amarok DNA, Cox Herbie Mattel are some… I’ve added these to the 12 photos I’ve sent but I can make others of better quality if required.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
Simple. the Volkswagen Arteon in 1:43 scale.
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
The win here goes to Ottomobile, for the quality of their miniatures and the asking price is very reasonable!
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
I collect everything related to the Volkswagen brand with a few that are under the Volkswagen Group umbrella, they include Bugatti and Porsche.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
In showcases and shelves. We must enjoy our collections!
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
In life, we must have many! Reading, listening to music and especially Lego kit models of the Volkswagen variety!
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
This has likely been shared by others, the more influx of resin static models, without opening parts. This is truly a shame to where this great hobby once stood.
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
Selfishly, a few more modern-era models from the Volkswagen brand would be nice to have from the manufacturers.
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
LOL, That I’m going to miss the place…
14) What is your daily driver?
A Volkswagen New Beetle Pretty