Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Karthik Inamdar from Hubli, India.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
I’m fascinated by cars since I was 5 years old. I’ve been collecting for more than 10 years now. My current total count of 1:18 is around 70 models, more than 300 Hotwheels, 30 1:24 Ferraris and 20 1:12 bike collections.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
My first diecast model was a 1:18 Dodge Viper when I was 10 years old.
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
My favourite scale is 1:18 because I personally feel that particular scale is easy to store and cost-effective. And most of the models are available in this scale too!
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
1:18 Porsche 911 GT3 from Minichamps, AUTOart Porsche 918 and GT Spirit Ferrari F40… I tried to upload photos but, I couldn’t do it. Need help uploading the pictures.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
Yes, to add some to that list include the AUTOart Porsche 996 GT3RS, Carrera GT and Lexus LFA. These are my ultimate holy grails!
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
I’m a big Porsche fanatic. I just love the way they perform and handle on the road like no other cars can handle, just special! Porsches are race cars for the road!!
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
I’m currently focusing on my Porsche 911 collection. I have more than 30 Porsches in my collection to date. Another 30 more, please!
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
Yes, I do! However, I’m very constricted about the number of models I can display in my collection, I have made a page on Instagram @hoardofreplicas to showcase my collection if anyone is interested. Even though I’m not that active on the page, yes I will upload photos whenever I get time.
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
No. I don’t have any other major passions or hobbies as such to mention apart from this.
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
The diecast hobby in India is still growing at this point and it needs a good couple of years to continue growing. We’re definitely behind our friends in Western countries.
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
Prices of some brands! It makes me cry and laugh at the same time.
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
No, I don’t modify any of the models I like to keep them as original as possible.
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
She’s been supportive so far, so much in fact she gifts me model cars each and every birthday.
14) What is your daily driver?
I drive a Mahindra Thar 4×4.