Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Manuel Plock from Höchstädt, Bavaria, Germany.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
My father was always collecting models in scale 1:87 (Herpa, Winking, etc.), I think he has over 1.000 models. This always fascinated me as a little boy and so I started collecting models in scale 1:87 too. Some day I walked into a local shop and saw a bunch of Maisto models in 1:18 scale and fell in love with an Audi R8R and Porsche 911 GT1, so I took both home. I do collect high-class diecast and resin cars for the last 8 years.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
As mentioned above. Maisto 1:18 Audi R8R and Porsche 911 GT1.
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
1:18 because of the details and the selection of different model brands.
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
There are too many models I like but the Exoto LeMans cars or the AUTOart Pagani Zonda R and Revolucion are always in my top ten because of the details of the models.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
As mentioned, AUTOart Pagani Zonda Revolucion or AUTOart Mazda 787b.
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
This is a hard decision… a few years ago my answer was 100 percent, AUTOart. But nowadays, because of AUTOarts cost cutting, I am not so sure about it. So today my answer is Autoart for the older models, Almost Real and LCD models for the newer releases.
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
My current theme is sportscars, supercars, and hypercars from all over the world. And of course Japanese cars, especially Nissan, I love to collect. My goal is, to enlarge my collection with high-quality models over the years.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
Yes, I display all of them, this is very important for me. After a stressful day, I like to sit in my office and look after the models for maybe 5 or 10 minutes. It is nice to enjoy the beauty of the models.
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
Cars in general also the 1:1 ones.
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
I think it is one of the most beautiful hobbies you can have. I enjoy collecting a lot. But on the other side, it is a very expensive hobby nowadays, models are getting more and more expensive.
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
The level of detail should increase at the same level, as the prices.
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
Till today, I only modified one model, an AUToart Aston Martin Vanquish. I am happy with the results.
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
My girlfriend likes models a lot! She has her own favourite models, which may not be sold and which have to stay in the exact place they stand.
14) What is your daily driver?
My daily driver for work is a Skoda Superb 2.8 V6 and for the weekend a BMW E39 540i 6-speed manual.