Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Michael Pagliaro from Burlington, Ontario, Canada
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
I’ve been collecting for many years since I was about 14 and I’m 35 now. I used to collect only 1:18 of many different makes. But for the last year or so I’ve only been collecting Porsche models in both 1:18 and 1:64 scales. I have about 35 1:18 models and 85 1:64 models.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
Franklin Mint – Lamborghini Countach.
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
My favourite right now is 1:64 scale, because of the lower cost and variety available I can collect a lot more than at the larger 1:18 scale.
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
Some of my favourite models to date are my 1:18 Spark Porsche 911 R. You can see it in a few of my photos. My other favourite is the 1:18 RWB Apple Computer Porsche by GT Spirit, as this mixes my love for Porsche and Apple products.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
I’ve been wanting a Porsche 918 Spyder to my collection as I missed this AUTOart release and now they are very expensive.
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
AUTOart is my favourite brand, I still prefer Diecast over Resin and opening parts call me old school but I still think they are the best value overall for quality and detail.
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
My current theme is Porsche models, I’m trying to have representations of every generation and famous racing models. My overall goal is to have every 24 hours of Le Mans-winning Porsche and at least one model of every Porsche model made if that’s possible.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
Yes, I like to display my models in my home office. I still don’t have room to display all of them at once but I’m working on some additional shelving to do so.
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
My other hobbies include Formula One Racing, video games and movies. I enjoy playing racing games like Forza Horizon/Motorsport and Gran Turismo.
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
I think the hobby has really grown, there are tons of variety of models out there at every price point. Brands like GT Spirit are producing some unique cars at reasonable prices. It’s a great time to be a collector!
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
$$$ price is still a barrier when it comes to certain models. If you don’t jump on things when they are released it will be hard to find and cost twice as much. If I could change anything it would be the cost of some models.
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
No, I’m a purist!
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
My wife is supportive but says I have to contain it to my office only. That’s fair, she doesn’t understand the hobby but understands why I enjoy it and does think my office looks cool!
14) What is your daily driver?
I have an Audi A4 and Jeep Grand Cherokee.