Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Rougé Laurent, France.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
The initial discovery in metal trunks in the garage of my father’s please, his passion was 1:43 scale. I was totally forbidden to manipulate these models but between us I did it in secret LOL.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
As many have probably noted before, my first diecast was a Ferrari 288 GTO from Burago.
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
The 1:18 takes up a lot of space but offers a beautiful object with details of the openings and a mostly more than acceptable finish. The large number of models allows you to choose your theme too.
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
All CMC models are truly sublime, I have a particular taste for the Nissan R 89 or the Mercedes C9 from Exoto.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
Yes the Ferrari 312 p from CMC. It has become too expensive as well as the Bartoletti one!
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
CMC and Exoto for their quality of manufacturing and overall finishing as well as the limited number of releases. Each release from CMC becomes an expectation, an event, truly a trill in scale!
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
I buy what makes me dream, a beautiful object, an emotion when opening and discovering the model for the very first time.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
I use a lot of individual display cases to highlight each model. See the provided photos for examples.
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
Motorcycling, sports and my children.
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
The choice becomes overwhelming, difficult to keep track of the number of models… I regret the internet platform which is killing small traders who had shops that made people dream, which allowed them to exchange and talk with enthusiasts.
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
In short, the price has become way too high and one just cannot seem to keep pace!
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
Yes sometimes… The latest update included the Ferrari P4/5 and Ferrari 333 SP.
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
LOL, she hates it. Plain and simple!
14) What is your daily driver?
A Renault Scenic. I know it’s not a dream car.