Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Rui Manuel Silva Mota from Braga Portugal.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
I collect for the passion of automobiles, about 45 years and I have between 800 and 1000 copies.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
My first car was a McLaren from Solido.
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
I chose 1:43 scale for the sake of space.
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
The Porsche 917; first winner of Le Mans. Yes, it appears in the images.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
Yes, the “The Plowing” of Brooklin in good condition. I have, but not in an immaculate state.
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
I really like two brands. To Brooklyn because it portrays old-fashioned lovely American models and Spark. For the excellence of their productions, where small details do not escape them.
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
I’ve always been passionate about Le Mans, but the themes Volkswagen, Porsche and BMW are perdition since my childhood. Now I collect too, Hot Wheels.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
No. I’m trying to create a museum if the local chamber collaborates.
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
Extremely expensive, especially the Brooklin models. It seems to me that the interest in the 1:43 scale is disappearing, in exchange with the 1:64 and 1:18 scales.
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
I already have. Nowadays almost all the models are produced and with excellent quality. This work is not justified today.
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
Don’t like, grrrrrrr…
14) What is your daily driver?
I like very much my Ford Focus MKIII Station.