Tell us what this hobby means to you? 14 questions answered by you, Thomas Jansson from Vetlanda, Sweden.
We’re always looking for more collectors to feature on DiecastSociety.com Diecast Collector Of The Month (DCOTM). Click HERE for all the details! ** Remember, for your efforts all winning candidates will be mailed a pair of www.DiecastSociety.com decals! **
1) What first got you collecting diecast? How long have you been collecting? What is your total model count as of today?
I began collecting from the time I was 10 years old. I’m forty now, and the collection is grown to over 1200 pieces. Scales include 1:160 up to 1:8.
2) What was your first diecast or memory?
I don’t really remember, it was so long ago!
3) What is your favourite scale, and why?
Without a doubt, it has to be 1:18 scale. Overall best bang in terms of detail and price.
4) What are some of your favourite models to date? Did you share any photos with us?
Favourites include anything from CMC and AUTOart from their Millennium series. Some are pictured in the provided photos.
5) Is there a model that has eluded you, a holy grail of sorts?
There are many, still looking for some older Mercedes-Benz models. Too many to list LOL!
6) What is your favourite brand/manufacturer, and why?
As mentioned eariler, Mercedes cars from CMC and AUTOart.
7) Describe your current theme and what your overall goal is?
Have many themes, some include my 1:18 Mercedes-Benz Museum cars featuring 128 models in 1:18 scale. The other is the “coffee table” presentation with mostly CMC in 1:18 scales. There is also my Mercedes-Benz “classics center”.
8) Do you display your collection? If yes, how?
Yes, I try to display most of my collection, some in five Ikea Billy cabinets, some on a glass table and six other cabinets. The rest remain in boxes.
9) Do you have any other hobbies, passions or addictions?
My passion for classic Mercedes-Benz cars! I have six classic 1:1 cars in total. My first car Mercedes-Benz 250. Others include 1973 C36 and a 300 E-24 from 1990. My daily driver is 300 CE from 1991.
10) What do you think about the diecast hobby as it stands today?
Not good. The decline of diecast scale models and the move to resin isn’t the most appealing for me.
11) If you could change one thing about the diecast hobby what would that be?
Bring back affordable diecast scale models, in all scales!
12) Do you modify cars? If yes, what are some examples?
At times yes, much on rare occasion.
13) What does your spouse, partner or significant other think of your hobby and your collection?
Surely she thinks I’m a little bit crazy… but she loves to come and visit hobby stores with me.
14) What is your daily driver?
An old Mercedes-Benz 300 CE from 1991. I’m the third owner and took delivery back in September 1990.